A bathroom remodel is one of the best home improvement investments you can make, especially if you’re replacing your old bathtub or shower system. However, the price of any project is always a factor that must be considered, and a bathroom remodel is no different.
A bathroom remodel, on average, costs about $11,000, but the actual cost can range anywhere from $2,500 to well over $30,000. This cost can depend on the type of remodel as well as the size of your bathroom, scope of the project, and any additional costs. To determine how much you’ll be paying for a bathroom remodel at your home, consider:
What Type of Bathroom Remodel is Better for You?
If you’re tired of your outdated tile flooring or sick of staring at a sink that doesn’t suit your style, you may need to pay more for a full bathroom remodel than you would if you only wanted to update your bathtub or shower.
Breaking Down the Cost of a Full Bathroom Remodel
When renovating your entire bathroom, each component that’s being added or replaced will affect the cost. Here’s a look at a few of the items you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Flooring is something you’ll typically pay for by the square foot, and this cost will vary depending on the material and where it’s sourced from.
- New light fixtures will likely add between $200 and $1,000, but additional ventilation or custom features will increase the price you pay.
- Cabinetry is another cost to consider if you’re looking to renovate the entire space, as you can pay between $400 and $4,000 for new cabinets. If you’re satisfied with the layout of your bathroom cabinets, though, a cabinet refacing project could work as a cost-effective alternative to a replacement that still delivers a refreshed appearance.
- Plumbing fixtures will also have a major impact on the cost of your remodel, as you’ll need to decide if you are having fixtures repaired, replaced, or even moved.
- A new bathtub or shower will cost you between $200 and $2,000, depending on the option you decide to go with.
When in doubt, get a quote from your remodeling company and determine the cost of installation before getting started.
Wet Area Remodeling: The Budget-Friendly Alternative
Oftentimes, homeowners find that simply replacing their bathtub or shower can make all the difference. If you’re happy with the layout of your bathroom and don’t want to make any major changes to other elements of the room, a wet area remodel is the perfect cost-effective option. These projects can be completed at a fraction of the cost of a full room remodel, with the average costing about $6,500. Options include:
- Bathtub replacement – A new bathtub can improve the way your bathroom looks as well as its overall functionality, especially if you prefer a specialty option like a walk-in tub or hydrotherapeutic jetted bathtub.
- Shower replacement – Step-in showers offer a sleek, contemporary appeal that modernizes the bathroom as a whole. A shower replacement also allows you to choose add-on features like grab bars, storage, and seating.
- Tub-to-shower conversion – A conversion project can completely transform the look and feel of your bathroom, all while making it a safer and more accessible space.
If a wet area remodel sounds like a better option for you, your best bet is always to work with a trusted bathroom remodeling contractor. These companies can not only help you customize your new bathtub or shower to suit your wants and needs, but they also do a professional job of installing your new bathing fixture to ensure that your project runs smoothly.
The Value of a Bathroom Remodel
Whether you opt for a full bathroom remodel or wet area remodel, your investment is likely well worth the cost. If you’d like to learn more about how a new bathtub, shower, or tub-to-shower conversion can transform your bathroom at a better price than a full remodel, SageHome’s network of authorized brands can help. Explore the brands we work with—and the products they offer—on our website today.